Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trying for a doe

October 16. 2012

We have been fortunate that Oma (Kyles mom) has been so willing to have some grand baby time and has taken the kids last night and tonight. So we have taken advantage of the free time and have used it for hunting. I have been hunting with my bow for several years now and have yet to harvest anything with it. Last year we got desperate for meat, so on the last day I pulled out my rifle and I was able to harvest a doe. This year I want to get a whitetail with my bow, no exceptions! So last night we went after my elk, since Kyle had harvested one on the weekend. The only elk we seen was a spike bull...on the highway...in the dark. The only other animals we seen were whitetails. It was like I was being taunted since I didn't have my bow with me. So I decided the next morning to take my bow along and I would focus on a doe. It had stormed all night and into the morning. Pounding rain, hail and snow with thunder, lightning and high winds. So needless to say the deer were extremely jumpy in the morning which made any stalking near impossible. We hunted from morning to night. Seeing about 45 whitetails (does,fawns and 1 small buck) and 10 elk (cows, calves and 1 large bull...on the highway..in the dark). I pulled many stalks through the day and was only able to pull back on one doe. I miscalculated the distance though and my arrow fell short as she danced away wagging her giant white tail at me. I never did find my arrow amongst the tall grass. I have used treestands, but have a hard time trusting something that hangs off a tree by a chain. I do like my ladder stand though. I now have a full understanding why people mainly use treestands for whitetail...they are very difficult to spot and stalk.

I love my bow and I love hunting with it. I love the challenge, but my is it frustrating!

Nikita

No comments:

Post a Comment