Friday, October 26, 2012

Tips for getting your ladies out!

October 26, 2012

Gentlemen! I know their are lots of guys out there that have wives/girlfriends that do not hunt, and some of you would like to get them to or maybe they want to try it out but you don't know where to start. I have asked some ladies and guys on the Coach 2 Camo page on Facebook for some input, but first I'll put my thoughts on the subject.

I think first you need to find out what it is they are interested in. Is it shooting? Is it seeing the animals? Do they want to harvest something? Seeing the scenery?
For me, I grew up in a hunting family but had never hunted or even shot a firearm. I didn't start until I started dating Kyle(my husband for those just coming through :) ). He took me out to shoot a rifle and a shotgun. When I found out I was actually a good shot, it made me enjoy it more. I had got my C.O.R.E our first summer together and went out for my first time that fall. I did get a deer, a 4 point whitetail buck and I freaked out when he didn't drop on the spot, he only ran 40 yards before he did drop, but I still freaked out. I soon learned that it was normal for them to run a ways before dieing. I wasn't a hardcore hunter though, like Kyle. I would go out here and there with him but that was about it. I tried the treestands but froze my butt off very quickly and ended up hating them for a while. I didn't really get into it head on until they started coming out with women's hunting clothes. I get cold very easy, and when clothes don't fit properly they don't keep you warm or you feel like a marshmallow. Then seeing the pictures he would take out on his backpack trips in the backcountry made me want to go back there also.
So for me the deciding factors, besides me wanting to try it, was proper clothing and getting to see the views/animals I was missing out on.

What others had to say about why/how they started:
Trish- "Well this will be my first year going hunting I didn't Really like guns but then one day he was out target practicing and I thought hmmm I want to try it.So I went outside and started target practicing and I'm so excited to go hunting in November I have been watching a doe since the end of summer.I call her big mama and I just think this is going to be new hobby for me."

Char- "I wanted to spend more time w/my husband, n our kids got older I had more time. I started going w/him. He's a good teacher. We laugh about some of the things I did in the beginning. But I'm getting better making better decisions. Understanding wind,and scent. The people I work with don't get why I save vacation time for the first 2wks of Nov. I love going n wish I would have started earlier."

Colleen- "I grew up on a 500+ acre farm was around it all the time... My husband & his family hunted the whole we dated I didn't want no part of it, then the kids came around. I got away from my country up bringins by working in the city & it just hit me one day. Stop trying to be someone your not & get those country roots back up. Before you know it I killed my first deer (doe) field dressed her & everything all by myself. I think it's like the viscous animal that gets its taste of its first kill, it hungers & wants more. That's me. "You can't take a man out the stand but boy can you sit next to him in one"

Jessica- "Well...mine didn't "get me out." The decision that I wanted to begin hunting was entirely my own, and my goal from the start was to be able to do it independently. However, he helped me along by enabling me...helping me to choose and procure gear, teaching me things, and never being too selfish to include me in his hobbies. He's my biggest supporter when it comes to my outdoor pursuits, and I'm thankful for that!"

Dian- "hmmm my hubby took me while we were dating, had a few years break and in 2010 I went myself........and now he hunts again too. But I am the one that really enjoys the whole process and he is more spur of the moment without checking the wind type. I think going hunting for something little like squirrel or rabbit maybe better than deer at first. Other than that, it's really dependant on what appeals to the person."

Scott- "Add in the fact that not only do they get to enjoys God's great outdoors,,,,its the Perfect "Mommy time" for those who can't get some quiet time :-) even when the hunting is slow,,,best time in the world to read a book,,,,its where I read the Bible uninterrupted :-)"

Figure out what they are interested in. If they aren't sure what it is they are interested in, then take them out with you and make sure they are comfortable and it's enjoyable. Maybe start small. If they aren't ready to shoot a deer let them shoot a grouse or some other small game. Make sure they understand that if they shoot something that it will run, not drop on the spot! A lot of interest may come from just seeing animals, a double treestand is a good idea or a ground blind. If they are nervous of the dark in the woods then makes sure you get out in daylight (even though that's when the animals move, you don't want to make it a negative experience).
Remember, make it enjoyable for her and keep her fears/dislikes in mind!

Nikita

No comments:

Post a Comment