Tuesday, September 11, 2012

SPOT

So while I am sitting here, relaxing, wondering if Kyle has gotten anything yet on his hunting trip (he's been gone since Monday morning) my phone beeps to show a message from him saying he's OK.

I know a lot of people know what a SPOT device is, but there are lots that still don't. My parents for one, had never heard of it. They do a lot of quading (especially my dad and brother) and they often go off on their own. So I introduced my Mom to SPOT. Showed her the unit we have and the messages you can send. Around here they are a great thing, we don't have a lot of cell phone coverage due to the amount of mountains that surround us.

It gives me piece of mind that he is alright alone in the mountains and with the custom message button he can tell me if he shoots anything. The battery life is very good on it, if you have the tracker on, it will drain it a little faster.
The unit we have
 
There is another device out called the SPOT Connect. It connects to your phone by bluetooth so you can update on social networks and send out text messages. I worked for Bell as a sales consultant for 5 years and I would not recommend it if you plan on being out for more then a night. Bluetooth drains your phones battery fairly quickly.

Highly recommend the SPOT even if your not a hunter. Outdoor enthusiasts, fisherman, camping, road trips, 4x4ing and travellers all would benefit from this device!

No comments:

Post a Comment