Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Extreme Huntress- The End



So back in July many of you know I went to Hondo Texas to compete head to head against 5 other ladies from all over the world in a hunting skills and skills competition. Then starting in October there were 13 episodes that aired online over 13 weeks on www.extremehuntress.com and on www.carbontv.com. I wasn't allowed to give the details on anyones hunts and skill scores until they had all aired. All the ladies were successful in taking animals on the 777 Ranch. Each of us taking 2 animals each except for Erika, who was able to take 1. Kasi was from Texas and was able to
takedown a management animal- Fallow deer and a trophy animal- Axis deer. Christie is from Australia and was able to take a management Impala and a trophy Black buck antelope. Amanda from Montana took a management Barasinga and Arabian Oryx. Erika from Sweden took a Jacobs sheep or 4-horned sheep. Margaret from South Africa took a management Red sheep and a trophy Black buck antelope. Myself, I was able to take a management Hawaiian Black sheep and a trophy Aoudad.

After the online shows were up and online voting was over we had to head back to Texas for the Dallas Safari Club convention in Dallas. It was an interesting experience- I had never been to a show that size before. This time Kyle was able to come with me so we made a vacation from it. We stayed in Texas for 9 days, spending 4 days at the convention and 3 days at the Geracis home hunting hogs and visiting. It was nice getting to see the girls again and Jim and Larry, unfortunately Christie wasnt able to come and we all missed her. Friday we had to do a public event, answering questions. Saturday was the dinner and when the winner would be

announced. The dinner was a different experience for me, it was a formal gathering which ment fancy dresses, make up and high heels. The dinner wasnt very long, they did all the awards while everyone ate which made the evening go quickly. Erika from Sweden ended up taking the Sculpture home as the winner of the Extreme Huntress contest. The auctions however were very long as there were many items up for auction. After dinner and the awards I couldnt handle being in my dress any longer and ended up changing back into my jeans. But I got to meet lots of people and it was an interesting experience.

There are a few things I took away from doing this contest, one is some amazing friends. These ladies, the judges and camermen, and Steve and Tommy from the ranch. They all hold a dear spot in my life and am so happy I got to meet them all. Getting to see what hunting on a ranch is truly like and learning all the amazing things they do for wildlife, and getting to see all the different species of animals-some that are extinct in their home lands! Animals I would have otherwise, never would see in my life. It gave me some insight into what the hunting industry is like. And it gave me confidence in myself, I went into this contest never expecting to make it the finals and when I got the email saying I was a finalist - I was scared to death. I thought I was in over my head and I was plagued with anxiety the entire month before heading to Hondo. Its intimidating, reading all these ladies essays and seeing their photos online and on social media. But once I got there and we got to work on the skills tests, I realized I was in my element and comfortable. It was a major boost for me and it changed me for the better. I know longer second guess myself or my instincts and learned a lot about myself as a hunter.

** Im trying to add pictures from DSC but having issues. I will keep trying to upload some**

No comments:

Post a Comment