Friday, October 24, 2014

Extreme Huntress Episode 2 Overview

What an amazing day this was for me! After that morning hunt I was on cloud 9. The morning started bright and early, 4 am and out on the jeeps by 5:30. Amanda was my partner as secondary shooter, Olivia was my judge and I had chosen to go after a broken horned Hawaiian Black Sheep as my management animal. When we got to the area that they were in Olivia gave me a quick overview of the shape/terrain of the area and where the food and water sources were, then it was up to me to figure out where the sheep were. I decided to check the watering hole first then make our way to the more forested part. When we got to the pond we were stopped by a very nice whitetail buck so we sat a little bit in the brush so he didn't give us away, after he moved on a big herd of sheep came up out of the pond and started to head for the forest. There were corsican sheep, four horned sheep and Hawaiian black sheep in the herd. Because the forest area was so thick I decided to head down and around to cut them off then come up slowly towards them. Luckly we didn't have to go far into the thick forest before we came upon them feeding. We quickly pointed out the "broken horned" black sheep so I got set up and just waited. Thankfully they had no clue we were even there so they never bunched up together like they do when they are nervous, and the old sheep wandered away from the herd right to a small pocket I had through the trees and brush. I just had to wait for him to take one more small step forward and I had the perfect shot. He only went about 20 yards before he dropped and I could see him from where I was sitting. I was so excited and he had so much character- He was heavily broomed off, his horns had chips out of them and he was so white on his face. He also had a big tumor on his neck! Truly an old ram! And even though he was labeled as a management animal, he is a trophy to me.
Next Sunday you will get to see the other 3 ladies hunt from that evening and Kasi, Margaret and my anti-hunter challenge.

Watch at www.carbontv.com and vote at www.extremehuntress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment