Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Aku Croda Boot Review (womens)

November 21/12

Aku Croda Gore-tex Hiking boot for women (waterproof).

I bought these boots to replace my old High-Tecs and Cabellas insulated boots. I have broken them in and have worn them out on some intense hikes (mountain goat hunting). Here's my review on them...

FIT

When I had tried these on in the store the first time I didn't buy them right away. They were the only pair left and they were a 1/2 size too big and when I tried them on they felt too narrow (I wasn't wearing proper hiking socks). Kyle convinced me to go back and try them out again, this time we also got a different guy that knew what he was talking about and doing. This time I used proper hiking socks and it made a huge difference. They know longer felt so narrow because I had cushion between my foot and the shoe. The guy helped me tighten them and they felt good.
After wearing them for a while now I am happy I got the half size bigger. I can tighten them right up with my light hiking socks and they are great and I can loosen them and have thicker socks or double up my socks without them being too tight.

PERFORMANCE

I have worn these mule deer hunting and mountain goat hunting now, in warm weather and snow. I love these boots. They have a 3/4 shank, great for mountainous terrain and steep climbing. The only down side to such a stiff boot is when your walking on wet sticks and rocks you slide everywhere. These are waterproof. After my goat hunt this past weekend in the snow and rain the only part of me that was dry were my feet. They are NOT insulated, if you plan on wearing them all year round I suggest getting the half size bigger. I wear my light merino wool hiking socks and a heavy wool sock over top and my feet stay nice and warm. Have good ankle support, they have saved me a couple times. When heading up steep terrain I just dig my toes in and its like walking up stairs, I can now make it up a steep mountain before Kyle (his boots are 1/2 shank).

BREAK IN

Breaking these in didn't take long. The sole and foot area are very comfortable right from purchase. The part I had to break in was the collar. The collar around the top of your ankle is very stiff, after the first few days wearing them my legs were bruised. It took about a week to get my legs used to the collar. Now they are fine, but always wear high socks, even if your just wearing them around town.

SPECS

* Gore-tex Waterproof & breathable membrane
* 3/4 Shank
* Vibram Rubber OutSole
* EVA Outsole
* Rubber wrap-around rand
* Abrasion resistant, rugged suede outer
* Gusseted tongue
* Padded footbed
* IMS internal midsole system
* Removable Insole

All in all, I love these boots and highly recommend them.

Nikita

No comments:

Post a Comment